Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cuttyhunk Has Changed

Ahoy its me Matt. Today I watched amovie Weapon's of War after breakfast and after the fog lifted. Then I tried to start the dink but it didn't work until we came back to the dock from the grocery store. Grandpa and I took this guy to get to the ferry (I drove though). Then I read my new Star Wars book and went swimming. More tomorrow when we leave Cuttyhunk.

The place is still deserted. In talking to the locals, they are hoping for a big 4th of July weekend but it's not here yet. I thought I would get rid of some garbage so I went ashore with my bag and promptly put it back in the dink when I saw the sign proclaiming a $5 charge per bag for garbage. You can still have your lobster but now they add on $2 for cooking each lobster, it used to be included in the lobster price. How about an ice cream cone, that's $4.50 for a small cup, we passed. I did get some ice for $4.50 a bag and later found out that it's $3.00 for locals, they like to soak the tourists. Add all this to the increase in mooring fee from $30 to $40/night and it's not as much fun as in the past. We may pass on the way back and I suspect many others will too. It's too bad, I really used to enjoy coming to Cuttyhunk but the atmosphere has changed.

Kayaks with a dog aboard appears to be more and more popular. I can't imagine it's an easy task getting the dog in without a calamity but they seem to do okay. The youth sailing club was out in full force too along with several windsurfers, all very pretty. Matthew passed a milestone today, he started the dink all by himself for the first time (with a mighty pull - after several tries).

We were socked in all day with a heavy fog until about 3:00 or so. The fog picture was taken towards the town dock which is usually full of power boats, not now. We had planned on a layover day anyway so tomorrow we're headed for Sandwich in the Cape Cod Canal but the current doesn't turn in our favor until around 3:30 pm so we'll get a late start. It's supposed to be windy but with wave heights only in the 1 to 2 foot range compared to the 4 to 6 range when we came in from Stonington. However, we had a lazy and relaxing day, we move again tomorrow.


Anonymous said...

Was it tricky starting the dink??
Whats the best part of sailing?

Anonymous said...

Great work on the blog!Keep up the good work.