Friday, October 16, 2015

Georgetown - at Dry Stack Marina at a dock

And this was after the water receded several feet
I woke up this morning not too early, but early enough to make you tired. Today we are leaving, I helped tie the ropes. It was cold this morning, I had long plants and a sweat shirt (editor's note, it was 65). Then I did some algebra this morning and I really think I am getting the hang of it. Then I did some vocab, then French, I did a test to see if I could tell want the words are, but in French. I think it is cool  when you know a language, you can read stuff you couldn't before. Then I read a lot out of my book, I think there is a third one because they have to do all of this stuff in 90 pages. Then I went down to get lunch and played on my tablet a bit. After some time we were here in Georgetown, the marina is nice and we restocked up on fuel. I helped with the lines and curled them up, also I put the step out. The boat is a little high from the dock so it is easier if there was a step. Our step connects on to a metal part of the boat and hangs down, there is also a rope attached to the step then you tie the end to the boat. You don't want anything to fall in the drink (fall in water, boat humor). Now we are having a stuffed crab for a little bite and fish for dinner, so bye. Sarah

The Rt 544 bridge with a 1.2 ft tide
Even though the tide charts said the current should  be flowing out, it was still against us most of the morning and the current by Barefoot Landing was still ebbing to sea. So we left around 8:00 and headed south. There was and still is extensive flooding south of here by the Socastee Bridge area. Of some concern to some with very tall masts is the fixed  bridge just south of the Socastee lift bridge, the Rt 544 bridge. Today it showed 61.5 ft with a tide of 1.2 ft. according to the tide tables. The height was certainly affected by the flooding from the rains. There were two patrol boats to make sure no one went faster than idle through the area. Any wave would wash right into a window in a house. 

Just had to have fresh fish at the Independent Fish Market
The river was still clear of debris, even more so than in the past and once past the high water near the houses, we could resume normal speed. Shortly thereafter, the adverse current turned and we were zooming along at over 9 kts with the outflow of water from the flood. We got a dock at the Dry Stack Marina in Georgetown for the night. 

It's the wooden boat show weekend
We plan on taking the shallows between here and Charleston in two steps so we'll have high tide at the critical spots. So on Saturday we'll leave around 9:00 so we'll have plenty of water for McClellanville and anchor at Awendaw. The next morning we'll leave in time for a similar high tide at the shallows north of the Ben Sawyer Bridge. I'll report on what I find on both days here in the blog and on Active Captain. Then we'll be in Charleston Sunday and Monday, leaving Tuesday for more shallows further south, should be interesting.