Thursday, May 15, 2014

Atlantic City - at the Golden Nugget docks

The Golden Nugget at night
At Cape May I normally take Hoolie into the beach by the Coast Guard station without a problem but this morning I saw a security guard waving at me frantically. He was clearly gesturing that I had to leave immediately. I guess I wasn't supposed to be there, so I left and hauled anchor quickly - didn't wait to see if they sent a launch out to give me a ticket.

Out the inlet we ran into fog off and on all the way to Atlantic City. Furthermore, the 10 kt winds turned out to be 10 to 15 with higher gusts and 4 to 5 ft waves from two directions. It was a very uncomfortable ride but we put all the sails out and motor sailed, averaging 8 kts going north, we wanted to get out of that mess as quickly as possible.

Looking across at a neighboring casino 
On Friday and Saturday, the winds are going to build even more with gusts to 30 kts and seas building to 7 to 8 ft. Needless to say, we'll be sitting right here until the waves subside. The forecast now looks like Sunday at the best, maybe later. I do not want to repeat today's weather over the 12 hour trip to Atlantic Highlands.


Unknown said...

Last year we waited for 11 days before a decent weather window opened up for our run to the Big Apple. We anchored the entire stay in Brigintine Bay. Take care and have a safe voyage back to the Hudson!
Fair winds & Smooth sailing,
Elaine & Lawrence S/V Elle & I