Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Key West - We explore the Key West Botanical Gardens

 

The day started out nicely with a surprise for Ann!

The first step was to pick up a rental car from Enterprise. They run some specials in February that they do not offer in March. I had reserved the cheapest one available but when I got there, they said I could upgrade to  a Mustang convertible for an extra $14.00. I quickly said okay to that offer and I drove off with a 2023 red Mustang convertible with less than 400 miles on it. 

Great gardens! The pond was full of turtles - dozens and dozens 

I parked it and went for Ann. I led her to another car off to one side, an ordinary looking car, the usual rental type and acted confused when the key fob didn’t work. Then she saw the rear lights blinking on the Mustang parked across the way. She gave me one look and ha! She was surprised to say the least. 

Hogfish Bar and Grill - typical Key West eatery. Ann’s over by the first door

We headed first to Winn Dixie for $450 of groceries (we hadn’t shopped for a while) and after off loading that bounty - we headed east to Stock Island. The first stop was the Key West Botanical Gardens which have lovely walking paths, we enjoyed it.

The famous Hogfish sandwich - delicious 

The next stops was at Hogfish Bar and Grill, a must stop if you’re anywhere near Stock Island sometime for lunch or dinner. Their sandwiches are huge and good with plenty of fish - generous portions, highly recommended. 

Unfortunately, in my visit to Perry Hotel, I came afoul of a curb that ran across a walking path. The physics of what happened is clear, no forward support (stopped by the curb) resulted in me continuing forward minus my feet. The result, I think, you can picture yourself. I was a mess (minus part of one tooth, strained chest muscles trying to cushion my fall, scraped knees, etc.). The urgent care centers were full this afternoon but I’ll be first in line Thursday morning (tetanus shot anyone? Oh joy.)

0 comments: