Thursday, April 21, 2022

Windmill Harbour - Calm day

 

What better way to spend a warm afternoon than here?

I had many projects planned for today but the boat had other ideas. Ann was in the middle of her shower when I heard a call that she was out of water, never a good thing to hear. Okay, I thought, I’ll just switch over the tanks - but then I remembered that I had just filled them a few days ago. That led to the investigation that it wasn’t a lack of water but rather a non functioning water pump! 

The grounds are beautiful

Luckily, I had followed my own advice in my Guide and had a spare water pump on board - after all - nothing ruins a trip with the crew than running out of running water, especially during a shower! I checked to make sure it wasn’t a lack of voltage being delivered to the pump and then decided it had to be replaced. I hauled out the replacement pump out of the depths of the forward bunk storage area and proceeded to do the replacement. Usually boat projects take at least 6 hours but this was an exception. It went smoothly and I was done in no time. Now I have to buy another pump for when this one fails. The last one lasted 10 years so I can’t complain. 

Sailing schools was in session!

I can’t recommend Windmill Harbour enough. It’s a great place, absolute protection from any wave action behind a lock and the wind protection is almost as good since it’s surrounded by three story houses. There no current at all since it’s behind a lock, what more could you ask of a place to dock your boat?

Still looking good. The docks are non-floating but behind a lock, floating docks are not needed.

There’s a world class restaurant in the form of the South Carolina Yacht Club. You’ll get no better meal anywhere on the ICW! Be sure to have their lunch or dinner menu if you drop by, fantastic. The people are very friendly too, great to be around. 

We’ll move on to Beaufort, SC on Friday for two days and meet up with friends we knew from New York. 

1 comments:

Ted A said...

Glad you and Ann and Hoolie had a nice visit to Windmill and SCYC. See you in the fall!