Thursday, April 28, 2022

Awendaw - at anchor

 

We had some low tides on the way to Awendaw

The Ben Sawyer bridge does not open until 9:00 am during the week so we left Charleston around 8:20 to be there for the first opening. I like to take the Isle of Palms at full speed to counter the effects of side currents. I had two feet of tide so I didn’t think I had a depth problem. The least I saw was 4.8 MLLW which was plenty for my 5 ft keel. 

The pebble beach for Hoolie is above water at all tides

The rest of the way to Awendaw but uneventful even though we were approaching a drain tide. I noticed about a foot more water than in the fall. Perhaps the strong north winds of yesterday and this morning pushed water in. 

The sun set on the sailboat aft of us, a calm night

We are now anchored peacefully with three other boats. It’s a huge area and we have lots of room. There’s space for a hundred boats, our type of anchorage. 

We will leave around 8:30 am for Georgetown and will have 3 to 4 ft of tide for the shallows of McClellanville, no problem at all. 

0 comments: