Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Charleston Maritime Center - I meet with Matt Foss of USACE

 

Matt Foss, Chief of Survey for the Army Corps of Engineers, Charleston District

I was due to go out on a USACE survey boat but as I said yesterday, it sprung an oil leak. Instead, I met with Matt Foss for two hours this morning and we covered a wide range of topics of interest to those navigating the ICW. I will eventually write an article for Waterway Guide on what was covered in the interview but that’s going to take a week or so. 

We’re deep into a discussion of how soundings are taken

What I learned is that their equipment is incredibly sophisticated (read that = expensive) and there’s no way I can duplicate it on my boat. I’ll continue going down the ICW and doing the best I can with reporting depths. I’ll also give Matt a report on shoaling that is found by the 16,000 member ICW Cruising Guide Facebook page. He would rather that input go through me for vetting first. They just do not have the manpower to do that themselves. 

On the way to Harris Teeter, they still haven’t completed the building projects

Meanwhile, we hiked to Harris Teeter and provisioned for fresh vegetables and fruits. We are good now until Beaufort, NC. On Wednesday, we plan on exploring Charleston with Ann doing her shopping and meeting later on for a late lunch at Hyman’s Seafood. It’s not fancy but it’s a good place for a reasonable meal. 

On Thursday, we leave for Awendaw to anchor out. 

0 comments: