Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cape Charles - last day

This is a major harbor for fishing boats

The winds increased Tuesday morning to 15 to 20 kts with 3 to 4 ft waves along with a small craft advisory. To make matters worse, the outgoing tide was opposing the 15 to 20 kts of wind and the associated waves. That would lead to short, square waves and not a very comfortable ride. One boat came in this morning with glass missing from a porthole after being hit with an on-coming wave. So under those conditions, we just stayed in port.

Whelks are also harvested
The forecast for Thursday is much better for going north. If the forecast holds, we will be able to move everyday and reach Chesapeake City by Sunday, May 19. Making Anchors Aweigh looks very doubtful, the weather would have to be perfect for the rest of the trip, not very likely.

Ann prepared pan-seared tuna for dinner and the four of us had a great dinner while waiting for weather. I replaced the water filter under the galley that filters the water we drink and the air filter for the A/C - there is always something to do on a boat! We'll get up early for the 43 mile trip to Onancock which is almost due north.