Saturday, October 16, 2021

St James Plantation Marina - at a dock

 

Our first sunrise of the trip

I took Hoolie out early and was treated to a great sunrise. It's been cloudy so many days this fall that sunny days have been rare - but we had one today! The only problem was that everyone else had the same idea, it was a weekend. 

I include photos like this so you can see the docks, there are full length, nicely maintained

All of the Bob423 tracks are still good down to Southport, no problems. I was passed by a large powerboat and I saw that he was going straight across a shoal where I had a track taking boaters out of the channel to the red side. He went straight, he stopped - it was low tide. It was less than 5 ft where he was going. I guess he plowed through, who knows the damage to his unprotected props. I'm amazed at why people still do this? The Bob423 tracks are free, they work - and yet there are boaters that don't use them? Is it an ego thing? Ego can be costly when a prop is damaged that easily could have been avoided. To some people, the only teacher is experience (and sometimes not even that!)

On the way into St James Marina, we lost a ball fender overboard. We went out in the dinghy to search later but it was nowhere to be found. Someone must have picked it up?

We will be here for two days and tomorrow we're invited for dinner with the McKays. They're the couple that took us dog and all during hurricane Matthew who passed directly overhead. Since then, we've become great friends. Meanwhile, they've loaned us the use of their car to finish provisioning for the things we forgot when we ordered from Walmart. 

We will start out again Monday morning, headed for Osprey, a great place to stay. 

3 comments:

wjs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WhiteCaps said...

Hi Bob423, After clicking on the link "Last 7 days" beneath "Follow Fleetwing," the only track I see is located in Alligator River Marina. Are you no longer uploading tracks for all to see?

Bob423 said...

White Caps, what I do now is examine my track daily to see if an update is required to one of the Long Tracks at
http://bobicw.blogspot.com/p/bob423-long-tracks.html

If an update is required to avoid shoaling, then I’ll issue a new Long Track that includes the area with the shoaling and assign it a later date, adding it to the linked page above. That way, anyone with the four most recent Long Tracks benefits from what I’ve found different from day to day as I head south.

If there are no updates, then there’s been no change in shoaling.

Bob423