Thursday, October 14, 2021

Homer Smith - Last day, we do a massive restocking

 

A handheld shot of the moon. Jupiter and Saturn are not in the photo but are nearby -
 a neat nighttime view

We took advantage of Walmart's service of shopping for you and putting your bags directly in your trunk. The item we wanted the most was the $1.99/lb boneless chicken breasts. There are hundreds of recipes using chicken breasts and with the spices, they are quite good. However, we found many items are out of stock around here. We've never had to substitute so many items but we got the majority of what we wanted. 

Fooling around with a night shot of the bridge we go under when 
we come to Home Smith

The shop that worked on Fleetwing used a brand of antifreeze I had never heard of, Fleetguard. I wanted to have some on board in case the antifreeze level was low. I discovered it's a brand associated with Cummins Diesel but it's not commonly used in boats, at least not that I could find. Nobody around here carries it. I went to their website for a phone number to call to find a dealer and they don't even have a number. You have to submit an email form and "they'll get back to you". Good grief. I finally found out that Rotella antifreeze is compatible and I bought a gallon of that. Watch what the boatyard puts in your engine for antifreeze!

On Friday we are off to Harbortown for an overnight stay. Slips are tight down here and it's recommended you call several days ahead to reserve a slip. We are two to three days behind last year due to the days we lost at Alligator River Marina but the next four days look like excellent traveling days - with sun even!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, Cummins Fleetguard is a high quality premixed antifreeze for diesel engines of all stripes. Doesn't really matter if it's marine or truck. Excellent additive package and corrosion protection. I'd be pleased if a yard put it in my inboard. And as they're all ethylene glycol based, most any quality diesel antifreeze should serve you well as ship's stores.

Bob423 said...

I have no issue with the quality, my issue is with the availability of the product along marine and auto store on the ICW. Besides, Shell Rotella is also a high quality product and it’s commonly available. I would prefer to add the same product used by the yard but I can’t if I can’t find it.