Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Titusville - Problems spiral binding the new Chartbook


I’ve told many people that if they wanted a spiral bound copy of my Guide to take it to the nearest Staples store and they would convert the Guide to a spiral bound version for around $7 each copy. However, there’s a catch. If they mess up your Guide, they do not consider themselves liable. Tonight I returned to the nearest Staples store to recover five copies of my new book, Atlantic Intracoastal Chartbook. It contains the entire NOAA charts covering the ICW from Norfolk, Virginia to Miami, Florida in five mile segments in NOAA paper chart format. The entire ICW is covered - no gaps. The charts have been updated to 10/25/2022 which is about 10 years more up to date than any other Chartbook on the market covering just the ICW. The book is for sale on Amazon.com

The version from Amazon.com is not spiral bound, you have to take it to Staples for that. Note that the photos of the Chartbook in this blog are at low resolution for quick site loading. In the Chartbook, they are at NOAA chart resolution. 

With spiral binding, the Chartbook lays flat

When I arrived, I discovered that one of the Chartbooks was mispunched and so could not be sold - I was out $59.95 which is the price of the Chartbook spiral bound. I have four good Chartbooks but the fifth one cannot be sold. 

The Staples clerk admitted to mispunching the book and tried to replace the pages with copies from her printer but for some reason, it could not reproduce the colors in the book. The only compensation Staples would offer me was not to charge the fee for the spiral binding of the four good books, $14.52. I lost the $59.95 that a good book would sell for. 

In the end, if Staples messes up, they will not compensate you for their mistake. I do not know the policy of other stores but it’s something to check on if you take your book to any store offering a binding service.

0 comments: