Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Georgetown - at a dock

 

I’m no one to judge bars but it looked nicely done

We only had 25 NM to go so we were lazy and didn’t leave until 10:00 pm. The trip down the Maccamaw River is always a beautiful ride. The wind picked up some but the water was smooth. We docked at Harborwalk Marina which is right downtown. The marina is first rate, nice docks and laundry facilities. 

Even I can appreciate a fine chandelier 

We are still getting Fleetwing in sailing order with today’s project the adjusting of the back tube of the bimini to we could snap the enclosure down to avoid winds on the aft section when docked. It was a study in just which slider to adjust to loosen the tension, not always obvious but trial and error conquers all. 

Since we plan on anchoring Thursday night, we fired up the outboard which had not been started since the spring. I learned to empty the fuel tank by letting the outboard idle until it shuts off after bills of $200 and $350 on two occasions to repair a non-starting outboard. Up until then, I had just let whatever gas was in the outboard to remain until I used it next, even if it was next year. After the second bill, I finally learned my lesson. It’s easy enough, just let the motor die at idle with the gas tank removed. 

A view of the paper plant at Georgetown, eerie 

We ordered take out at the Corner Tavern in Georgetown. They have a pub menu with lots of sandwhich choices which suited us fine after a day of boat chores. It’s on to Awendaw on Thursday, timed so we have a few feet of leeway through the McClellanville shallows. 

1 comments:

bob said...

Know what you mean about those pesky outboards! Not only do I run the gas out of mine but drain the carburetor by turning a small screw on my Honda 2.3. Do this whenever I am not going to use it for a couple days. After several carb replacements I found that this keeps it running. Do the same with my Honda 2000 generator. We may fall in behind you in a week or so departing from SSI, Georgia LOL.