Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Titusville - We see a Crested Caracara

 

Crested Caracara - in the Falcon family

I was out walking in Sand Point Park when I saw a strange looking bird on the ground. As I came closer, he seemed in no hurry to move along. He kept turning his head as I walked by so he could keep an eye on me. He appeared to have something on the ground that occupied him but I couldn't be sure. 

One of many exercise equipment - out in the open for use by runners

I later looked him up on the internet and found that he was a Crested Caracara, a type of falcon that's common to mid-Florida. I found that they tend to spend a lot of time on the land scavenging. I looked at him, he looked at me - and we passed each other. He was still there when I left. 

There's a running trail through the park and at spaced intervals, they have exercise equipment for use by the runners. The equipment is not cheap and seems to be kept in good working order. I never use it since I'm more interested in the running part but I see others taking advantage of it when I pass by. 

On Thursday, we're headed for a road trip to see the lighthouse by Ponce de Leon inlet, looks like fun. 

0 comments: