Friday, November 4, 2022

Titusville - Our car arrives!

 

We’re facing west so we get a sunset every night!

When returning from Titusville to New York for the holidays, we like to rent a car one-way to Deltaville and then pick up our car which we left there at the beginning of our trip. The operative term there is “one-way”. When I called Enterprise and Hertz to reserve a car, I was told there were no cars available for one-way rental. I could rent a car for the entire two months of my northern visit but that is now rather expensive at $3600 for Enterprise (we used to do just that for $1200). 

We’ve been playing hopscotch with Heidi along the ICW. He does not have an outboard, it’s all rowing for him. 

So what to do? I called the marina where we left our Nissan and asked if anyone there would drive our car one-way and then catch a flight back north for a fee. I got a volunteer and he started out this morning at 4:45 am from Deltaville and arrived at Titusville at 6:15 pm. 

We are overjoyed at having our own car to drive north. I’ll take Terry to the airport Saturday morning for his flight. The purpose of this long explanation is that there must be other people in the same predicament. Terry is willing to do the same service for others in need of a one-way trip. Just drop me a line and I’ll tell you the terms, they are not cheap but still less expensive than any alternative if you need a car one-way. 

Meanwhile, there’s a storm coming and people are seeking shelter It’s not due for another couple of days but one needs to be securely tied up with the rains and winds coming. I need a haulout to repair a slow leak in the aft section and my timing was excellent. The day and time of haulout looks like it will coincide exactly with the peak of the storm! We’ll watch that closely, groan. 

0 comments: