Saturday, February 5, 2022

Marathon - At Safe Harbor Marathon Marina at a dock

 

The marina was sold to the Safe Harbor conglomerate which immediately raised rates - the docks are nice 

We had a seven hour day ahead of us to reach Marathon but we took the time for a relaxed start and got underway a little before 8:00 am. Ann announced our departure over channel 16 to alert any boats coming through “crash corner”. It was morning, so all the boats are going in the same direction - out to sea. 

Marathon has a well deserved reputation for great sunsets.
We had a bunch of boats between us and the sunset but it was still good. 

Getting close to “crash corner”, the sun was directly in my eyes. I had Ann looking out from the side deck to see if anyone was coming and she keyed me in on when to start my turn. The sun was blinding through the plastic windows, very hard to see., Once around the corner, there was no problem seeing ahead. 

I looked at the sounder on the way out and the least I saw was 6.2 ft and that was at exactly dead low water, at 0.0 MLLW. The entrance has a reputation for shallow water but it’s not that shallow, 6.2 MLLW is not that bad.

Sunday is the big day, we finally reach Key West, only 9 days late (too long!). I’ve promised Ann a dinner at Schooner Wharf to celebrate our arrival. We are so looking forward to just vegging out for a week or so.


0 comments: