Monday, March 22, 2021

Titusville - We try Philly Cheesesteak for dinner

 

Main Street Philly

There is a local restaurant that advertises authentic Philly cheesesteaks. It had good reviews on Google so I thought we would try it out. Neither of us had ever had Philly cheesesteak before so we didn't know what to expect. I got the large and Ann the medium. When asked, how did we want it (toppings), I just replied whatever is authentic, the way they serve it in Philly. I was taken aback when she answered that she didn't know. I thought this place had the real thing. The cook in back piped up and said that Cheez Whiz was the way to go. 

Too much, soggy buns

So we ordered the Philly cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz with an order of buffalo wings. The servings were huge, more than enough. However, the bun was soggy, as if the hogie type bun was loaded with meat and Cheez Whiz and then heated in the microwave. I had thought the bun should be crisp with hot meat and cheese inside - but maybe that's the way Philly cheesesteak is served? 

On the way over, we noticed a small alligator sunning in the pool by the statues to astronauts;

It all tasted good but it was too much for one meal. Ann saved half her sandwich (small order) and I couldn't finish mine. I don't think I'll order Philly cheesesteak again. 

5 comments:

M/V SERENDIPTY said...


Bob, don't give up on a Philly Cheesesteak - need to get to NJ or Philly to taste the real thing.

Erin

Unknown said...

Bob,the bread makes the sandwich. And in
Philly they pile the meat on.
Safe travels when you head North.

Unknown said...

Marty
Hoctor

Bob423 said...

To all, I’m still recovering from the meal, too rich. So I guess, the bun should not have been so soggy? Is Cheez Whiz really the cheese of choice for this sandwich?

M/V SERENDIPTY said...

A good Philly cheesesteak hoagie won't be soggy - the cheese is a preference. Best done with shaved beef done on hot flat grill chopped as cooked, onions added. The bread in that area is crusty on outside and soft inside, it's hard to get outside the area, I know of places in Virginia that have the bread shipped from Philly.

Erin & Larry