Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Haverstraw Cove for the night

Big Ships on the Hudson River!
Rise RISE my fellow companions as we journey on this glorious river that can only be put as the Hudson River. I am Finn and you will join me and other crewmates on our journey to Long Island. Not one not 2 but 3 weeks of horrible puns and bogging. This entry was short BUT I PROMISE the next one will be bigger.     

Our Cove for the night
Well, that was Finn McNaughton, one of four grandkids on our second annual Cruise to Long Island Sound! It's just Ann and I and four kids who like to be on a boat - or rather - away from their parents who would better guide them in the proper behavior for young ones. The main lesson for today is how to properly flush a marine toilet. There's is nothing they like better than talking of bodily functions (need I go into the typical sounds...) Nevertheless, the captain is called upon to perform certain clearing actions of said toilets now and then. Oh, the joys of sailing.

Us
We started our adventure this morning from PYC with a forecast of scattered thunderstorms. We didn't intend traveling all day so we thought we could find a good anchorage before the storms hit. We almost did. Heading towards Haverstraw Bay, there is only one anchorage protected 360 from wind and waves. Unfortunately, it's not surveyed on any chart. Fortunately, I knew the way in. I found it one day several years ago when we were anchored north of Croton doing the usual bouncing around since it is open to wakes and any north wind. I saw this boat approach, headed right for me. I called Ann, "You better come up here", are we being attacked by pirates? It turned out to be a long time resident of the area and said, "Follow me", which I did. He led the way, I looked at my chart, it was blank, no depth readings, nothing. He said, "Stay close to shore, there's a wall of bricks just under the water by the north shore." Also, "Avoid the middle just beyond the entrance, there's another pile of bricks there. Other than that, the cove is clear." Well, he was right about one thing, the cove is protected 360 and from 15 to 25 feet deep everywhere, except where noted. When the wind is howling and the waves rocking outside, it's nice and calm inside. You're surrounded by hills so you don't get much wind action either. However, with the intimidating entrance, it's little used. 

Peaceful evening
I took note of my route in and published a GPX route for others to use. Once inside, there are no further obstacles - I sounded the entire cove and the route in can be downloaded at BHavCove. It sure makes for a clam night. There's pet relief too, by a pile of bricks just south of the entrance. 

The natives are watching TV tonight (Big Trouble in Little China with Kurt Russell, a crowd favorite)  and it has cooled down somewhat due to the cloud cover from the rains. We will leave for Manhasset early Wednesday which happens to be the 4th of July. Gee, I hope the harbor is calm...  We need to get through before the East River is closed due to fireworks barges;. Hopefully, we'll make it through. We're also hoping for less heat and fewer thunderstorms and, while we're at it, some winds for sailing - and not the usual Long Island Sound winds that average 15 kts - which means in Long Island Sound speak, either 0 or 30 kts for an average of 15. 

Sail along with us, the kids will be doing a rotating blog lead-in so Finn knows he's four days away from having to expound on his rather short start today. 

1 comments:

Kia Gardner said...

Tell Finn he’s got a fan in NYC waiting on that next longer post....

Enjoy the Sound!