Sunday, October 15, 2023

Jacksonville Free Dock - At Sisters Creek

 

We got the catbird seat - the end dock. There were only two boats tonight

Nothing unexpected along the way as far as depths are concerned. The Bob423 track was fine. However, when we were approaching Fernandina, we heard a Coast Guard announcement about a railroad bridge that was inoperable in the down position. It was located at “static, static” and would be closed until further notice. We listened again 15 minutes later with the same “located at ‘static, static’!” Since we were approaching the railroad bridge just south of Fernandina, we were concerned. So I asked Ann, “what were the Lat/Long coordinates they announced (along with the name of the bridge)? (The Coast Guard always gives the Lat/Long). I got a scowl for that question and a suggestion that I listen to the next broadcast and write down the Lat/Long myself. “But you already heard the Lat/Long, just tell me what they were” - I could see this was going nowhere and shut up (best move I made all day). 

This is the bridge we thought might be closed - but it was open as usual.
We ate at the Down Under restaurant right by the bridge

As we rounded the curve in the channel, we peered ahead through the gloom and could see the bridge was not closed. Upon that observation, the third Coast Guard announcement was crystal clear - the bridge in question was on the St Johns River. Oh well, the Coast Guard had us going for a while. 

Strange sunset tonight. It was like a fire on the horizon illuminating the clouds

Terri and Larry met us at the Jacksonville free dock and we all went out for dinner. They are a great couple and fun to visit. Of  course, we talked boating for several hours over dinner topped off ny a treat at Dairy Queen, I hadn’t been to one in years for a cone. I related that if I divided the cost of my Genset by the number of times I used it, I’d be lucky if I got the cost down to less than $500 per use. 

We’ll leave for St Augustine in the morning for a three day stay. It’s always a fun place to explore before moving on to the Bethune Park anchaorage before reaching Titusville. 

1 comments:

Ted A said...

Some of the newer VHF radios (including handheld) have a "replay" feature.